How can I change my account number?

Would you like to change the account number on which your child benefits are paid ? This can be done in two ways.

Firstly, you may do it using our app myFamiris.

But you may also change these data by filling out the form “Change of account number“. When filled out, the form has to be sent by regular mail or by e-mail to your file manager or to

Note : As a rule, we pay child benefits to the mother (person entitled to benefits). If she’s not the account holder, we always ensure that she can at least access the money in that (joint) account.

Any questions ?

If you have any questions, get in touch with your personal file manager or go to our contact page.

Can't find an answer?
Popup form
Can't find an answer?