Can my child receive child benefits himself?

Posted on 25 August 2023

Child benefits are paid in priority to the mother or, if not, to the person who is raising the child and with whom the child lives (more information on this subject can be found here).

However, many young people want to receive child benefits themselves. Is this possible? Yes, but only under certain conditions:

  • From the age of 16, young people can receive child benefits themselves if they live entirely on their own, i.e. at a separate address from their parents;
  • If the young person is already married, even though he or she still lives with his or her parents;
  • if he or she already has one or more children for whom he or she receives child benefits.

Should the young person notify us if he or she is in one of the situations listed above? It is always better to notify your personal manager of any changes so that he or she can inform you the best(laisse tomber the best) about the progress of your case and the formalities to be completed.

Would you like more information about child benefits? Do not hesitate to consult our FAQ OR contact us through the contact page OR by telephone on 0800 35 950.