Brussels child benefit rates increase by 2% in May (first payment in June). More info can be found in our news section.

Child benefit for students: how does it work?

Child benefit for students: you can still be entitled even from the age of 18.

Child benefit up to 18 years of age

Children living in Brussels are entitled to child benefits until 31 August of the year they turn 18. They must be of Belgian nationality or be authorised to live in Belgium.

Child benefit for students aged between 18 and 25

Between September of the year they turn 18 and the moment they turn 25, children can retain their entitlement to child benefit provided that they are enrolled in an educational establishment:

  • of non-higher education and have at least 17 hours of classes per week.
  • of higher education and are registered for at least 27 credits or 13 hours of classes. The enrolment (or the first enrolment if they get 27 credits through several enrolments) must take place by 30 November.
  • or undertake a recognised apprenticeship training.

Children may combine higher education and non-higher education. Evening courses are also authorised.

Between two academic years, children retain their entitlement to child benefits.

Children may study in any country of the European Economic Area, with no risk of interruption for their child benefits.

What do you have to do to receive child benefit as a student?

To ensure a smooth treatment of your file, each year in September, Famiris will send you a form ‘child benefit for students’ that you and the educational establishment will have to fill in. When filled in, send this form back as soon as possible:

  • per e-mail to your personal file manager (you will find his/her contact details in our letters),
  • or to Famiris – Rue de Trèves 70 Boîte 1 – 1000 Brussels.

What if the young person stops studying?

When children do not resume their studies after the school holidays and start working, their entitlement as a student ceases. When children are enrolled as young job seekers, they can, under specific conditions, continue to receive child benefits.

Can't find an answer?
Popup form
Can't find an answer?