Who receives the child benefit (beneficiary)?

The beneficiary receives the child benefits. It is not up to parents or persons raising the children to choose the beneficiary. The authorities have provided in regulations to that end.

General rule: the mother receives the child benefits

In most families the mother receives the child benefits. To that end many couples use a joint bank account, even if that is not obligatory.

For example: Agnes and Marc live together with their two children. Agnes receives the child benefits on a joint account she has with Marc.

There are some exceptions to this general rule.

What if the parents do not (or no longer) live together?

For underage children, as a rule, the mother keeps receiving the child benefits. Were the children officially registered at their father’s address? In that case the father can request Famiris by letter or e-mail to pay the child benefits to himself. In this case too the parents may (continue to) use a joint account.

Does the child of age stay with either parent as frequently and for as long? Then nothing changes for the child benefits. If the child lives for most of the time with one of the parents, the child benefits are paid to this parent.

In some cases the parents have made specific arrangements regarding child benefits through the divorce decree. In that case you may want to get in touch with your personal case worker.

What if the child no longer lives with their parents?

Suppose a child is not raised by his parents, but by other people. In that case this person receives the child benefits. This may be a foster parent, but also an aunt or a grandparent.

If the child is completely self-reliant, they may receive the child benefits himself from the age of 16 onwards. This is also the case for children still living at home, but who are already married or who have children of their own for whom they receive child benefits.

What if both parents are the same sex?

There is also a general rule for same-sex parents: the oldest one receives the child benefits.

What if the child is in a juvenile detention centre?

Underage children growing up in problematic circumstances may be placed in a juvenile detention centre by a judge in a juvenile court or by a public service. There is a separate regulation for these children. Would you like to know more about this? Get in touch with your personal case worker or through the Contact page.

Questions ?

Can't find an answer?
Popup form
Can't find an answer?