Who receives the child benefit if the parents separate?

As a rule the mother receives the child benefits. If the parents (whether or not married) separate, we still assume there is shared parental responsibility over the minor.

Therefore the mother keeps receiving the child benefits.

Is there a change in this situation? Inform your personal case worker about it.

For example: if the child lives with the father, who has sole or majority custody of the child after a family court decision or an amicable settlement, the father can ask to collect the child benefit himself.

Minor children

If the child is underage and lives with its father, the father may request the child benefits agency in writing to pay the child benefits for his children to himself. The benefits are awarded from the month following the request onwards. If the father does not request this, the mother keeps receiving the child benefits.

Children of age

If the child is of age, the child benefits are paid to the parent the child is living with.

How do I notify the Caisse d’Allocations Familiales of a parental separation?

If the parents separate, the commune informs the Caisse d’Allocations Familiales of the change in the child’s family situation, via the Banque Carrefour de la Sécurité Sociale.

As soon as we are aware of the separation, Famiris sends a letter containing the necessary explanations to both parents. If the Family Court grants one of the parents exclusive parental authority, a complete, unaltered copy of the judgment must be sent to your family allowance fund. The parent exercising parental authority will receive child benefit from the month following receipt of the copy of the judgment.

Any questions?

As soon as we are informed about the separation, Famiris will send an information letter to both parents.

Do you have any questions? Get in touch with us through your personal case worker or through Contact.

Can't find an answer?
Popup form
Can't find an answer?